If your school is interested in finding out more about honeybees, we have a number of dedicated and experienced beekeepers who can come and talk to your class(es).
We can tailor presentations to be specific to the interest of your class and all are illustrated with a range of materials and objects of interest. Between May to July, we can support activity with our observation hive of live bees.
Content of talks can include:
• Difference between Honeybees, Bumble Bees and Wasps
• Life Cycle
• Biology of a bee
• Castes of honeybees and their role within the colony
• Beekeeping – hive parts and general principles
• Hive products inc honey to taste and learn about how the bees collect nectar and pollen
• Value and importance of pollinating insects / ecological value bees play in the natural environment
Please to contact Jenny Lewis at email@example.com for more information or to book a visit.
Useful links to some excellent online resources for schools:
The British Beekeepers Association [BBKA]: Bees in the Curriculum [mix of activities KS1, 2 & 3]
Friends of the Earth The Bee Cause pack [KS1 & 2] (pdf download)
National Science & Engineering Week Save our Bees [KS1 & 2] (pdf download)
International Bee Research Association [IBRA] Understanding Bees Education Pack [KS1 & 2] (pdf download)